IMAGE 6, 7, 8 & 9
For the last four images I have included in my exhibition the editing process was the same or very similar to the Photoshop techniques I have already used and explained in the previous posts. So I am not going to reexplain what I did. The only differences is that the layer blend’s are different.
In this post I am including the before and after images for comparison and a small summary of each of the ‘after’ images to what I was aiming to create.
For this image I added in a murky effect which is more visible in the top right hand corner. I have also used brushes to add in the defects along the top edge. This is to give the photograph and old and worn out vintage photograph effect.
I have also bleached out the bottom and darkened the top as this makes it appear it was taken on a very old camera.
This photograph I have added in some obvious light leeks which is a something that can happen with film, either the camera is broken and lets in light, or you expose the unprocessed film to the light in some way, or alternatively it could be a defect on a negative which is very old because negatives and photographic prints fade and dull over time, especially around the edges, this happens when they are not looked after properly and over years and years the suns light fades the details.
So that is what I have tried to mimic in the editing process for the photograph below, I feel that it looks quite realistic because the fading is not equal all over the photograph. After:
This image I wanted to do the same effect I have used on one of the previous photographs, to over and under areas of the image giving it a completely different exposures. Also I added in some scratches using the brush tool, and also the pencil tool which makes a really sharp scratch which I feel looks very effective and realistic. After:
So this is my last image, it is landscape, all the others are portrait. As you can see from the original photo on the left, there is a Bedweiser can on the fence. NOT OK!! So I cropped the image to frame just the two people in it and leave out the Bud can. As I have done before on some others, I have bleached out the white on the mans shirt to make it appear it was taken on a less modern camera. In this particularly large image below the film grain (that I have applied to all digital photographs for the project) can be seen clearly, this is very authentic looking I feel. After:
So overall I am VERY happy with the outcome of my work from this project. As a photographer it is normal to use Photoshop to edit images so that they are enhanced to be better, but for this project I found myself adding elements into the image to make it look worse, like stains, scratches, loss of detail, over/under exposure etc. But saying that, it has been more enjoyable than what I usually do because in some cases I was making the photographs look as extreme as possible, but then also in other photographs I was adding subtle differences, so the extremes were fun.
I have enjoyed it also because I have learnt A LOT of new skills in Photoshop and Illustrator that I didn’t even know existed, such as layer blends, adding texture though layer blends, downloading brushes from the internet, designing brushes to use, actions that can be downloaded, well the list goes on! I feel that what I have done suits the content of the images profusely, so because they are modern I have made them suit the style to what is in the content. I hope that if someone saw one they would believe it was old as I have tried to leave out any modern items from any of them, which when I was selecting my images I had to do carefully because although the backdrop of the landscape, horses, bunk house, hanging tree there was often a mobile phone in someones hand, or a modern piece of clothing (not everyone who goes here dresses as traditionally as the two in this portrait ) like a puff jacket, or a Budweiser can etc …! So now I have finished editing them I can put them into my fictitious exhibition!!